Friday, September 3, 2010

The Fool

The Joker of the playing cards
In Tarot is The Fool; high on
A precipice
he freely steps
,
The world far beneath his feet,
An absolute beginner now
All potent possibility.
He is journeying, the satchel
Of his possessions swings lightly
Off his shoulder, face lifted, gaze
Beyond, the zero of the deck.


One fallen fool, lost on his way,
Taught to me the way of The Fool.
I believed in him, with knowledge
Such as this, though failed, he would
Fulfill the promise therein.
He made of me a fool, untrue
To the very truth he taught me,
Though he told me sincerely
He is no Fool but the Devil,
The fallen one, the mortal fool,
In error and illusion bound.
What he knows, may he remember;

Any fool's The Fool, after all.
To my teacher, the fool: Up high
On a precipice freely step,
The world far beneath your feet,
An absolute beginner now
All potent possibility.
Go on journeying, the satchel
Of your possessions let swing light
Off your shoulder, face lifted, gaze
Beyond, the zero of the deck.

No comments: